Sunday, September 12, 2021

Sakyamuni Buddha - thank you for teaching Satipathana meditation!

Lately I have sort of gone back to my roots. When I first started to learn about meditation, I started with Mahasi Sayadaw's Satipathana meditation method. At that time I was "too raw" in meditation. After many years, I venture back into it suddenly... with the blessings of the Buddha no doubt... and realised that what a complete system of meditation the Satipathana meditation method is. The Buddha is a genius! 

It's four foundations (or sometimes "domains") or mindfulness practice covering body, feeling, mind and phenomena will take you through the entire landscape to enable a thorough awakening and uprooting of the afflictions that keep us in Samsara. With what we are taught in this method, I feel that I have a more thorough "tools" to accompany my current meditation method in dealing with my afflictions than if there was no knowledge of this tool. I feel that it can be complimentary to other meditations you may be doing, i.e. Zen's Shikantaza, Mahamudra, Deity yoga, etc. I meant, applying the principles of it into these other methods, particularly in dealing with arising afflictions. 

Strictly speaking others may refer to this as Theravada method. But essentially it is a basic method taught by our original Teacher, Sakyamuni Buddha. So, thank you, Sakyamuni Buddha for teaching us the Satipathana method of meditation!     #satipathana #meditation #Zen #mahamudra

No comments: