Saturday, December 4, 2021

Lesson on Patience: What Superman Had to Endure


I watched the "Man of Steel" last week and I thought Superman could really teach us something about the practice of patience. He may not be practicing to perfect his paramitas but nevertheless, we could apply the inner strength with which he applied patience in facing the people that bullies him. He could not retaliate against those bullies. If he had wanted to, those bullies could not stand a chance against him. I realise that it is not only his physical strength here, but more of his inner strength. As a kid, he faced a lot of problems, particularly his adopted parents trying to hide his identify from the public. Even as a grown up, hestill had to hide his true identity. From a young age, Jonathan and Martha Kent had trained Clark Kent the values of humanity, in the hope that when he grow up, these virtues will have imbued in him to enable him to help all sentient beings. In the world of comic superheros, this is equivalent to a bodhisattva in training. I see the comparison with Buddhadharma in this way. I think we all could be comforted that our inner strength is actually complete and we can fight against our adversaries if we had wanted to. But we choose NOT to, instead exercise restrain and adopt patience and compassion. 

This is what I mentioned in my previous post on whether we are being bullied due to our compassion/ patience. Refer this post. https://buddha-and-me.blogspot.com/2021/09/life-will-not-always-be-smooth.html

Even though for me Superman will always be Christopher Reeves, but this actor (Henry Cavill) is not too bad. It is a Warner Brothers production. I think the movie was shown in 2013. Superman is a DC comics superhero character. 

#Superman #Man of Steel #HenryCavill #patience #clarkkent  

No comments: