Saturday, December 30, 2023

Did the Historical Buddha teach the contents of the Abhidhamma?

As the Year 2023 approaches its end, I would like to clarify something. In recent days, we have Ajahn Brahm in a dharma talk said that the historical Buddha did not teach the Abhidhamma as it is in its present form. Well, actually he is right. Even in the manual of Abhidhamma, in its preface, it is printed there that it is a text compiled in the centuries after Gautama Buddha's Pari-nibbana. In my opinion, even though that is a fact, I dispute that the Buddha did not teach the contents of Abhidhamma. If you know what is the contents of Abhidhamma, you will agree with me that how is it possible that the Buddha did not teach or touch on any of its topics within Abhidhamma? Consciousness, 5 senses, 5 aggregates, karma, etc etc - these are common subjects of Dhamma given by the Blessed One. Indeed, he would have taught it in one way or another. It is just that when he was alive, nobody compiled it in the manner as it is today. The Blessed One also might not have taught it chapter by chapter as it is in its present format. So, I will dispute if someone says the Abhidhamma is NOT the Budha's teachings. But I will not dispute if someone says the Abhidhamma (in its present format) was not ever taught by the historical Buddha at that time. Do you understand the difference? Also, when someone says, it is not "the Buddha's teachings", you have to ask them just what do they understand by "the Buddha"? Do they mean only the historical Buddha? Or, the Buddha Jewel, which includes all Buddhas of the three times? Also, when Buddhist take refuge in the Dharma Jewel - do they understand it to refer only to the teachings of the historical Buddha? CERTAINLY NOT. The Dharma Jewel includes all teachings by the ARIYA ONES. As long as the Dharma teachings is in accord with the THE NATURE OF TRUTH and GENERAL INTENTION TO CROSS OVER SENTIENT BEINGS TO THE AWAKENED STATE, then it is a valid Dharma. 

It is the same with regards the Visuddhi Magga (The Path of Purification) text. This is a compilation or text by a Venerable One and has been a very useful text referred to by many Buddhists until today. While this is clearly not something taught by the historical Buddha, it is nonetheless a Buddhist/Buddha's teaching, and hence a valid Dharma. 

#Abhidhamma #VisuddhiMagga #AjahnBrahm 

Since this is the last posting of the year, I would like to record my humble thanks to all my readers. For the year 2023, it gathered about nearly 27,000 views. Hope you all have a fulfilling and blessed year in 2024 and thereafter. May the Triple Jewels continue to bless all of you! 

Year 2023 has been a very tough year for me personally. But on the spiritual front, I managed to improve my practice as well as enhance my Dharma studies this year! In this sense, I do not regret the decision I have made to achieve that. Some renunciation is necessary to push yourself forward. If you cannot give up some of your worldly things, you will not be able to achieve what has always been your dharma aspiration. I do see next year as possibly another tough year. However, this time, I am armed with some important Buddhist teachings, such as Right Mindfulness, which I hope to employ to the best of my ability to face the vicissitudes of life. That's all I have to say. I found a new Dharma teacher as the year comes to an end. One whose guidance is able to complete the guidance I received from the Myanmar Sayadaws. I will be going back to the worldly battles next year, thanks to his blessings. Thank you, Venerable Bhante! I also want to thank the deity who is usually pictured as a little boy deity accompanying Kuan Yin Bodhisattva, i.e. Seng Cai Tiong Choo. And finally, to Bhagawan Swami. My humble thanks!

If you have the time, try reading this post from the past - https://buddha-and-me.blogspot.com/2009/02/where-does-holiness-come-from.html

No comments: