Monday, May 16, 2011

Mother's Day, Teacher's Day and Wesak Day

In my country, we celebrate teacher's day today. So I wish all teachers (conventional teachers, lecturers, educators as well as spiritual ones), a HAPPY TEACHER'S DAY!! Without teachers and educators, we will be like living in a world in total darkness. This is my esteemed tribute to teachers. In Buddhism, teachers are regarded with the same respect as spiritual ones and ought to include them in our merit field during meditative visualizations. 

Mother's Day was last week and the best thing I ever did for my mother was to get her to commit to reciting a particular mantra on daily basis. So I managed to get her to commit to the mantra path this year, in reciting the mantra for reducing chances of getting stroke and increasing chance of recovery. i.e. OM TUMBURI TUMBURI SUKSHU MEME SHIKSHI SOHA. Previously she has not been reciting any mantra on daily basis. Now she recites this mantra 7 times a day. Despite her many flaws, I still love her. After all, who doesn't have any flaws? So HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Lastly tomorrow we celebrate Wesak Day, which is the Theravada calendar for the day in which our historical Gautama Buddha was born, attained enlightenment and passed into Maha Parinirvana. It's a combination of the Saka Dawa days in Tibetan calendar. In the Chinese Buddhist calendar, these sacred occasions are celebrated on different days of the year. This has always been one of my favorite days of the year. So, HAPPY WESAK DAY!!

No comments: