Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Farewell to Brendon Yeoh & Others!


There was this dharma brother in Penang , whom I think is active in the Buddhist circles. There are people who have seen him quite a few times at various teachings. Recently he was seen listening to His Eminence Ling Rinpoche’s teachings as well as Choden Rinpoche’s. During the Medicine Buddha initiation, he brought his son along. He proudly said that that was the first time he had brought his son to a teaching and meet a lama. It was his first initiation. His son smiled happily. His face radiates innocence and simplicity. He was a young fine man. I told him I hope to see him going to more teachings and start on the Buddhist path of practice.

However, little did I know that that would be his last teachings and initiation (although I am not sure if he met any other lama between Choden Rinpoche’s visit and the tragedy). Also probably his first and last meeting with a Lama. But yet, what a great Lama he met. He met a Buddha – i.e. Choden Rinpoche! It was good that at least we bumped into each other and established a small connection. I took this small connection and went to his funeral this morning. I mentally told him that in the absence of Choden Rinpoche, through whatever pure aspiration and practices that I have, may Choden Rinpoche’s blesings flow in abundance towards him through me. I felt sad and my tears were welling inside me. I felt sad because a fine young man’s life had just ended before he could even start discovering about the Buddhadharma. I felt sad because I had so much opportunity with the Buddha dharma and this young man (and probably many others too) had none. I tried my best to comfort the mother, although I know it is in vain when you are in such a situation. I said that it was good that at the very least he made a connection with Choden Rinpoche and received his blessings. Receiving his blessings and the Medicine Buddha initiation blessings through Rinpoche will NEVER be in vain. I hope his family will trust this and the karmic imprint he had obtained from the blessings and connection will flower in his future life or lives. Since he also has a tiny connection with me, I aspire that it will also not go in vain. Whatever my merits and virtue I have, I transfer to his good rebirth.

Do you know who I am talking about? I am talking about Brendon Yeoh, one of the 6 victims in the dragon boat tragedy. He was only 17 years old. If you regularly attend Buddhist teachings in Penang, you might have probably seen his dad too.

So, to the dad - Mr Yeoh – I would like to convey my condolences to you and your family. I pray that you stay mentally strong and trust your refuge in the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. You did the right thing to bring your boy to receive Choden Rinpoche’s blessings. That was only a few weeks ago. Life is seriously impermanent. If it is any consolation to you, I told your wife that some people live up to 80 or 90 years old, but failed to meet a great Lama and receive his blessings. But Brendon did at a young age, even though his life is short. And he is taking that positive karmic imprint with him to his next life. Even though I am sad and I have tears in my eyes as I am writing this, I know it is even more heart wrenching for you and your family. If there is any help I can render, do write me a personal email. But stay faithful to the Buddha dharma. I know your situation because I am only waiting for my turn. Stay Strong, dear Brother Yeoh and … to Brendon Yeoh Yuen Khye (pic above), May Medicine Buddha guide you to his Pure Land. May the others who perish with him also be reborn in Medicine Buddha's Pure Land!

Om Benkhaze Benkhaze Mahabenkhaze Benkhaze Raja Samugate Svaha.

If you are not sure what this is all about, refer this link:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/1/18/nation/20100118093525&sec=nation

Dear friends & fans of my blog,
I would suggest that if you know of any visiting Lamas or Rinpoches or Bhikkus/ Bhikkunis (monks/nuns) of any lineage, be it Theravada, Mahayana or Vajrayana, do request them to pray for all of the victims. Thank you. Sarvam Mangalam.

No comments: