Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tantric or Pure Land Practice?

Student:
I do not think I have any hope to practice the Six Yogas of Naropa or those complicated tantric yogas. I am too old now. Too late to practice those things. I may not even have time for long retreats. But I do like practising Vajrayana. And at the same time, I want a secure path to my liberation if I don't succeed in Vajrayana practice. It seems to me that Pure Land Buddhism seems to offer that security. Master, what’s your advice?

Master:
What is there to hope?
There’s no hope if we try to be too smart,
If you do not know how,
If you are not sure,
If you do not have blessings
To receive proper training by a qualified master,
Why mess with your cakras and bindus?
Just place your trust in Amida,
And naturally allow His Vow to cross us over!
Namu Amida Butsu…Namu Amida Butsu…

But if you do have proper training
From a qualified master,
Ahh! Sweet nectar – that’s blessings from Amida!
Complete your training,
And help cross others over!
But always remember –
Namu Amida Butsu…Namu Amida Butsu
Anchor yourself in Amida’s Primal Vow,
Use mantras to help others,
Whatever is your training.
They are not contradictory!

No comments: