Sunday, October 10, 2010

What did you do on 10th sec, 10.10am, 10 Oct, 2010?

So, did you do anything special on 10 October, 2010 at 10.10am, 10th second? If not you still have  tonight at 10.10pm. But technically, 10.10am is better.

Anyway, is the day any special day in Buddhism? Does it have any Buddhist significance? Not that I know of. However, that does not mean I cannot make it special since many people think it is special because of the number 10, which signifies "completeness".

So, I took that opportunity to recite "Namo Amitabha Buddha" at that exact moment and make a wish to be reborn in His Land of Ultimate Bliss when my day on Earth is over. I leave the rest to the power of Amitabha's Vows. Just one recitation with sincerity is enough to enable one to cause one's rebirth there eventually. It is so important that I got a few family members to do it, i.e. by texting them. I am not sure they do it or not but at least I know I did it with someone who lives with me. :)

Anyway I didnot want to go to the Nine Emperor Gods shrine near my place and be there at this special moment. I delayed going there until I had recited Amitabha's Name at that very moment. We must know our priority, right? 10.10.10, 10.10 o'clock 10th second does not come every time, does it?

So, what did you do at that time? Did you let it go by just because it does not have any significance? I think you have missed the chance if you didnot do anything significant at that moment. You could ahve done your yidam meditation then. Or make a wish for the long healthy life of your guru and His Holiness the Dalai Lama? Or, you could have made a special wish for someone who is sick to recover quickly. It is a chance to expand your bodhicitta on such a rare occurence. If you really think, there are so many things you could do to make this moment a special one - something that enhances your dharma practice and benefit sentient beings. Of course, you can do it anytime, but doing it on this rare moment where everything is perfect 10 adds to its significance and will go a long impact in your future dharma practice.

I also received a sms message that says that October 2010 is special because it has 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays and 5 Sundays, and this happens only once in 823 years. And according to the sms, that is supposed to be good fengshui because it indicates money bags. But I checked the calendar and January 2010 also has 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays and 5 Sundays. So much for good fengshui, huh? We should check before we believe in anything, not just blindly believe, right?

P/s: I have updated this post as well as "Monkey God and the pilgrimage to the West" post. I will be away for a few days and won't be able to update my blog for a while. Happy reading.

No comments: