Saturday, January 23, 2010

Meditation during Sleep

Yesterday (Friday 22/1/10) was weird. When I woke up it was as though I had not slept throughout the night. The dream state and waking state have become indistinguishable, but yet I remembered what happened. It was the first time I had meditated during the sleeping state. Or maybe, it was a state where I was neither fully awake (in the normal sense) nor completely in a deep sleep state. What happened was that I had done only 5 sessions of my guru yoga. And there is one more to go. And I thought I could do it one more time after I did my Vajrasattva long mantras 30 times. I usually recite those mantras lying down as my consciousness slowly go to sleep (the purpose being to purify everything as I enter sleep). But somehow, I ended up sleeping. Maybe, subconsciously I knew I had one more meditation session to go and it just slipped into the meditation mode even though physically I may be sleeping. I could say that because I remembered I did all the meditation and the visualisations were clear, because I was not fully in a deep sleep state, I also knew I was sleeping physically. If you don't understand what I am saying, I don't blame you. It's weird to say the least... it was weirder than the 2 times (I think) when I woke up and found out that I was still reciting the mantra I was reciting at the time when I slept. But I am happy ...at least, it's an indication it shows that the imprint from doing the guru yoga meditation is getting stronger. It must be strong enough so that I can do it even in the bardo state. Eventually I hope to be able to do dream yoga.

2 comments:

Bodhiactivity said...

wonderful, i rejoice for u. with such positive habitual tendencies, i think is a very wonderful result from practice. Is your daily meditation very strong that caused such a strong imprint? Maybe u cld analyse what elements in daily practice actually helped u to such a strong imprint and share with us... thanks.

Mahabodhiyana said...

I really have no idea, but the sages of old never say four or six sessions guru yoga for nothing. It's meant to be done either 4 to 6times a day, depending on which system you are following. You just need to do it consistently. And blessings from the guru is very important. Before I actually got this practice from him, I actually was "tested" by him several times before I got a surprise that he was teaching this practice. I think I wrote a blog on that story. But I suppose there is much more to this than meets the eye... even I donot understand. I don't think I will analyse it more to it than this.